(Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math)
Washington Seventh-day Adventist Church
153 King Street
Washington, NH 03280
Each participant family must complete this registration form by August 2, 2021. No cost. Donations will be accepted.
STEAM Retreat - August 22, 2021 - Registration Form
Deadline to Submit Application
August 2, 2021
Participants will spend the day working with catapults. They will:
- Build a table top “Viking Catapult” out of shish kabob skewers and rubber bands and shoot ping-pong balls.
- Fire water balloons from a full-size catapult.
- Measure the distance from the front of the catapult to the object’s landing spot.
- Weigh water balloons and calculate the minimum force needed to reach that distance.
- Consider what forces are at play that are not in the calculations.
- Fire a tennis ball on a string from a third catapult and calculate the peak height of the ball using a measuring device made by two people working together. This simple device has been calculated to be used at a set distance using Pythagorean’s Theorem.
- Measure the diameter of trees using a Biltmore Stick. (This is an introduction to portions of the Pathfinder Forestry Honor.)
- This is an outdoor event, therefore, keep in mind that since Washington is the highest elevation in the state of New Hampshire, the temperature can be 3-5 degrees cooler.
- Mosquitos and other insects are part of the woodland Sabbath Trail, so consider bringing a long-sleeve shirt to help avoid insect bites. (Ferns on the trail can be used as insect repellent. Rub them to release the scent and then use a belt loop or pocket to hold them.)
- Good walking shoes and a hat are recommended.
- An extra set of clothes is recommended in case of wet weather and/or a water balloon accident. (The event is rain or shine!)
A bell will announce the start of the event at the pavilion. After an introduction of the activities and the leaders of each activity, families will draw lots to determine which activity they will initially start. After that, families will be able to rotate to the various options. A permission form will be available allowing the use of your images from this event.
10:00 a.m. Event will start at the pavilion.
12:30 p.m. Lunch
2:30 p.m. Wrap up at the pavilion. Complete evaluation form.
3:00 p.m. Dismissal
A vegetarian potluck lunch will be served. Please bring a dish to share.
Each participant will receive a certificate with all activities listed. Instructors will checkmark and sign each activity as it is completed.
Atlantic Union Conference STEM Advisory
Loma Linda University EXSEED
Andrews University, STEM Division