NY13 (Impacto NY2013) – Revelation of Hope Initiative
NY13 is an evangelistic outreach initiative, sponsored by the Seventh-day Adventist Church, to reach people in New York City and beyond with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- It is the first phase of a challenge set forth by Ted N. C. Wilson, president of the Seventh-day Adventist world church, to reach people who live in large cities around the world.
- New York City, an urban center whose population reflects a microcosm of the world, was chosen as the first of about 650 cities where the Seventh-day Adventist Church plans to hold evangelistic meetings over the next several years.
- Leading this initiative and working together with local leaders, pastors, workers, and members in preparation for the meetings in 2013 are: Ted N. C. Wilson, Seventh-day Adventist world church; Dan Jackson, North American Division; Donald King, Atlantic Union Conference; Dave Weigley, Columbia Union Conference; Charles Cheatham, Allegheny East Conference; Jose Cortés; New Jersey Conference; Daniel Honore, Northeastern Conference; G. Earl Knight, Greater New York Conference; and Frank Tochterman, Southern New England Conference.
- This is the first time that the General Conference, North American Division, union conferences, and conferences have worked closely together to accomplish a major initiative of this kind.
- Guest evangelists from around the world have volunteered to simultaneously preach the gospel in neighborhoods of New York City.
- More than 400 locations will hold evangelistic meetings from April 1, 2013 through October 31, 2013.
- Bible worker training programs, community services activities, youth ministries activities, and more relational activities and services are being conducted in conjunction with the evangelistic meetings.
Tell the World . . . Tell Atlantic Union – Initiative
The Atlantic Union has adopted the “Tell the World . . . Tell Atlantic Union” initiative for the 2006-2010 quinquennium. Following are some goals that have been established:
- Each conference in the Atlantic Union has taken ownership of the “Tell the World . . . Tell Atlantic Union” vision for its constituency. They will establish methods of evangelistic outreach that will produce positive results in their field.
- The month of October, each year, beginning in 2006, has been designated as reaping month in the Atlantic Union. A specific time period will be established during that month for workers around the Atlantic Union (from the union, conferences, schools, and other institutions) to be simultaneously involved in some form of evangelistic outreach. It will be a time of reporting, celebrating, and sharing stories of the way the Lord has blessed in the Atlantic Union throughout the year.
- Each One Win One. Every church member is encouraged to bring one person into fellowship with God’s family. The conferences have been assigned goals based on their membership percentage in the union.
- Identify and equip members according to spiritual gifts. Church members in the Atlantic Union are blessed with many gifts. They will be given the opportunity to exercise their gifts through a process that will help to identify and equip them according to their gifts.
- Engage the youth and educational system in supportive roles and leadership. Youth at every level will be engaged in evangelism, outreach, and community service. Our educational institutions will also be involved in the efforts and plans for evangelism.
- Prayer is an important component and emphasis will be given to blending Prayer Ministries into the evangelistic process.
- Nurturing plans will be established and more attention will be given to nurturing church members. Some areas of focus will include small groups, prayer groups, Bible study groups, and witnessing teams.
Some of the results of this initiative were realized when the 100,000th member was baptized in the Atlantic Union (see the January 2008 issue of the Atlantic Union Gleaner). Through its “Goals for Souls” program, the leaders in the conferences in the Atlantic Union have worked diligently toward realizing that goal.